top of page

๐’ฏ๐‘œ๐“…๐’พ๐’ธ: โ€œTwo Ears & One Mouthโ€

๐’ฒ๐‘’๐’น๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐’น๐’ถ๐“Ž'๐“ˆ ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’ถ๐“Ž๐‘’๐“‡: ๐Ÿฃ/๐Ÿฃ๐Ÿฅ/๐Ÿค๐Ÿข๐Ÿค๐Ÿฃ


๐’ฎ๐’ธ๐“‡๐’พ๐“…๐“‰๐“Š๐“‡๐‘’: Genesis 24:21 / 2 Samuel 13:22

๐’ฏ๐‘œ๐“…๐’พ๐’ธ: โ€œTwo Ears & One Mouthโ€


๐’ข๐‘œ๐‘œ๐’น ๐’œ๐’ป๐“‰๐‘’๐“‡๐“ƒ๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ ๐“‰๐‘œ ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Š,


Communication is defined as the means of sending and receiving information. In Latin, the word communication means to โ€œshareโ€ or exchange messages between two individuals or more. However, communication is only successful if the message is properly received. So, what are the avenues of communication? Research has broken communication down into four categories.


1. Verbal

2. Nonverbal

3. Written (Computer, Texts, Letters, books, magazines, social media, etc.)

4. Visualizations (such as maps, charts, diagrams)


It has been argued that only 7 percent of communication is verbal and the other 93 percent is nonverbal. In 2011, this theory was disputed by a group of researchers. I read a quote somewhere that says, โ€œGod gave us mouths to close and ears that donโ€™tโ€. Also, Iโ€™m sure you all have heard the saying we have two ears so that we can listen twice as much as we speak, right? In my marriage, I have been told that I talk entirely too much and that I need to listen more. (Ouch). But true. Don't judge me.


So letโ€™s look at this from a biblical perspective and see what the Word of God says about communication or the lack thereof of the verbal portion.


According to biblical scholars, out of all the words in the bible, only 1.1 percent were spoken by women. Less than 100 women are documented in the bible as speaking, with the Virgin Mary totaling 191 words. Moreover, over thirty scriptures in the bible make reference to nonverbal communication. I would like to point out a few particular verses.


Genesis 24:21, โ€œMeanwhile the man was gazing at her in silence, to know whether the Lord had made his journey successful or notโ€. In this verse, notice he observed the woman (nonverbally) to detect her mood.


Ruth 1:18, โ€œWhen she saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more to herโ€. In this scripture, it appears Naomi knew that no more discussion was necessary pertaining to Ruth wanting to leave with her mother-in-law into her country.


2 Samuel 13:22, โ€œBut Absalom did not speak to Amon either good or bad; for Absalom hated Amnon because he had violated his sister Tamarโ€. Even though angry at the sexual violence (rape) committed against his sister Tamar, Absalom, knew not to say anything (at this moment).


Isaiah 36:21, โ€œBut they were silent and answered him not a word; for the Kingโ€™s commandment was, โ€œDo not answer himโ€. The people knew not to speak after this order from the King was given. Operating in order is crucial.


Job 29:9, โ€œThe princes stopped talking and put their hands on their mouthsโ€.


Job 29:21, โ€œTo me they listened and waited, and kept silent for my counselโ€.


In each of these examples, it appears there was a time to speak and a time to listen. I cannot approve or disapprove the notion of women in the bible speaking significantly less than men; however, as women are scientifically proven more emotional than men, it is wise that we give even more consideration to our thoughts before speaking. And again, as I often say, I am just ministering to my own self. I have definitely made decisions and spoke out of emotion.


Father, in the name of Jesus, I certainly believe you were sending a message by creating the man and woman with two listening ears versus one mouth. Father God, I openly confess that my mouth has gotten me in greater holes than I could ever talk my way out of. Father God, I cannot speak for anyone else or repent for anyone else; but God I ask you to forgive me for my own reckless speech. Father forgive me for talking when You did not authorize me to. Father I realize that whenever I spoke without consulting you, it made my shine much dimmer.


Father God, You have provided numerous examples in the bible where silence was warranted. Father God help us to focus on necessary communication and due silence in return. Father God I rebuke my flesh that often rises up when I know it is a time to be still and silent. Father God help me to listen more than I speak. Father God I ask for better communication skills so that I represent Your Kingdom in the best light.


Father God, most importantly, we want to silence the things that do not reflect You so we may hear more from You.


Itโ€™s in Jesus name I pray. Amen.


๐ฟ๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’,


๐ฟ๐’ถ๐’น๐“Ž ๐‘€๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ

Commentaires

Notรฉ 0 รฉtoile sur 5.
Pas encore de note

Ajouter une note
126060581_129185692085410_70414868342610

Hi, thanks for stopping by!

I pray that you are continuously Blessed!

Let the posts
come to you.

Thanks for submitting!

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
bottom of page